Okay, I’m a numpty – I forgot the admin password for my router. The (security driven) delay before you can try again is hampering me from trying the many I might have used – especially as it doesn’t tell you if it was wrong or it is still timed out!
Luckily, on one of my computers, I have a cookie saved that fills my username and password in for me, so I can still log in. Okay, so I must be able to recover my password from this… right? I really don’t want to have to factory reset the thing. Challenge… wait for it… accepted.
- Enter the menu system (with your saved credentials).
- Click Advanced and click Okay to proceed.
- Click Maintenance, click Device, then click the Configuration File tab.
- Click the Download Configuration File button and save it to your desktop.
- Open the file with Notepad (or Wordpad).
- Search for the text Userpassword
- Copy and paste the password into the http://www.base64decode.org/ website.
- Click the <Decode> button.
- Your password will be displayed in plain text.